Paleo Crock Pot Cuban Pork Pernil
Ok do I need to say more? Isn’t pork the best protein ever? I’d bet my life on it; it’s that good. If I were you and I read this title for the first time, there is no doubt in my mind that I would grab my flip flops and immediately would run to the grocery store to buy the ingredients to make this yummy healthy meal. Read this post THEN Go! You will not be sorry.
Well as you know this Cuban woman loves loves loves pork! Usually when Cubans cook their Pork Pernil they cook this traditional pork dish with a “fattier” or more marbled cut of pork like Boston Pork Shoulder or Pork Butt. Cooking a pork pernil style means the pork is marinated in garlic, citrus juices, cumin and oregano and slow roasted all day. I used to make my traditional pork pernil the same way in the oven like my mother taught me but since I love love love (too many loves I know but I want you to get the point) my crock pot/ slow cooker I came across a recipe to cook my pork shoulder in the crock pot and I did it and it was MOUTH WATERING D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S. Check it out for yourself, crock pot pork pernil. Since I have made that recipe, I have wanted to make a similar pork recipe but this time substitute pork tenderloin for the pork shoulder since we all know pork tenderloin has little to no fat and has less saturated fat than chicken! Well I
stalk came across my fave Paleo blogger and saw this yummy Cuban Pork Recipe and knew I had to try it. I made some adaptations to it and I was very pleased with the outcome. A new family fave for sure!
- 2 pork tenderloins (1 package about 2-2.5 lbs)
- 1 big yellow onion, sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 large orange, juiced and zested (I ran out of oranges so I used a grapefruit and it was equally yummy)
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1.5 tablespoons of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the pork in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add dry ingredients (cumin, oregano, salt and pepper) and feel free to massage the ingredients into the pork so they can better absorb the spices.
- Squeeze the lime and orange (or grapefruit). Make sure you add plenty of the citrus zest too! It adds an amazing punch of flavor.
- Add the minced garlic and then our the chicken broth over all the pork and ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 6-7 hours.
I served this with my usual no grain cauliflower rice. Remember I am Cuban and we serve every meal with rice. Now that I am Paleo-ish cauliflower is my new BFF. This time I added 2/3 cups of canned coconut milk, 1/4 of shredded unsweetened coconut flakes, and 1 teaspoon of raw honey to two heads of fresh cauliflower heads to give the rice a kick and it was amazing!
Try serving it also my new fave Avocado Tomatillo Sauce. You will not be sorry!
So what’s the verdict? What do you think?
See your Recipe Book.
[…] classic meals will also go good with this special Avocado Tomatillo sauce. Try it with my Paleo Crock Pot Cuban Pork Pernil, Chicken Enchilada, Holy Moly Pork Shoulder Goodness, or a Cubana’s Mexican Style Pork […]
[…] Dish– Paleo Crockpot Cuban Pork Pernil from […]