Curry Butternut Squash Soup
Ok, Ok, I know I am a little late jumping on the squash and pumpkin bandwagon, but you all (read ya’ll for more dramatic effect) know that I live in Texas and it is still high 80s and 90 degrees so forgive me for not rushing out to Starbucks and buying a Pumpkin Spice latte on the first day it was released or running off to the grocery store and buying all the pumpkin puree cans in stock so I can be the first to start my fall cooking. I am such a hater and a LIAR! I love soups and I especially love cooking all types of squash soups so much that I am that girl who would cook this very recipe in the middle of the 100+ degree summer days in Texas if I could get away with it. Anyhow, what kicked started my fall recipe repertoire honestly was Costco. I almost did 5 cartwheels in the store when I saw they started carrying their 2lb of Organic cubed butternut squash again. Anyone wants to guess what it costs? (insert jeopardy theme song) ?????? Ok drum roll please….only $3.99! That is a steal and not only is it cheaper than my local grocery store charges for the whole butternut squash but I am buying it already cubed! Buying it packaged eliminates you from getting crazy “squash hands” from peeling butternut squash and for those of you who have pealed squash you know what I am talking about. But don’t let a little squash hands scare you, butternut squash is worth it and besides some people just wear plastic gloves to avoid it altogether! This is just the first of many butternut squash recipes I have to share with you so get used to those squash hands.
Ok honestly this is my favorite soup ever! Why you ask?
1. It’s so healthy and so yummy, can’t beat that right?
2. It’s so creamy you would think their was loads of half and half or heavy cream but there is NONE, ZILCH, NIL, NADA, you get my drift.
3. It is so fast and easy making this soup after I owned an immersion blender! Ta-daa! Best blender ever and you can get one for less than $30 these days, BARGAIN. But again don’t let this deter you from making this recipe if you are sans immersion blender. I have spent years placing batches in the blender and it was still yummy and worth the time.
So if you didn’t get you excited to try this recipe after reading those Top 3 reasons then you are probably not human. There, I said it 🙂
I have created and tweaked this recipe over the years so bear with me but I can promise you each batch gets better and better AND you will not be sorry you tried this (even those curry haters out there too will love it)!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2- 2½ lbs of butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped into cubes
- 1 medium to large yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4-5 garlic cloves (you know my theory on this, the more the better), minced
- 5- 6 cups of low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Accompaniment (optional):
- drizzle of honey
- nonfat Greek yogurt (omit if Paleo)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a 6 quart stock pot/ saucepan.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until soft and onions become translucent (about 6-7 minutes)
- Add the butternut squash, broth, curry powder, salt and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until squash is tender (about 15 minutes)
- Remove from heat and puree with immersion blender OR in batches in a blender until smooth
- Serve with a dollop of nonfat Greek yogurt and drizzle of honey and viola!
So what was the verdict in your house? Do you have any other yummy and healthy butternut squash soup recipes you want to share?
See your Recipe Book.