Paleo Pork Sausage and Butternut Squash Stuffing Casserole
I know I say all my meals are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G but this one makes A-M-A-Z-I-N-G fall short. This “casserole” is so good we ate it for breakfast, lunch and dinner! That is all I am going to say because the pictures should do it justice.
Paleo Pork and Butternut Squash Stuffing
This is an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G Paleo Pork Sausage and Butternut Squash Casserole.
Author: Our Full Plate
- 2 lbs of ground pork sausage
- 4 small or 2 and ½ large yellow onions (about 6 cups or 1 lb), diced
- 3 lbs of butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- ¾ cup of pecans, chopped
- ¾ cup of dried cranberries
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil (or coconut oil) for the butternut squash
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil (or coconut oil) for sauteing onions and pork
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup of chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- I have recently discovered the world that is covering cookie sheets with foil and baking. Hello?!?!?! Why didn't anyone tell me you can do that and eliminate the majority of cleaning? My cookie sheets look like @s$ and now life is so much easier that I realized you don't have to spend a good 10 minutes at night scrubbing charred left over food from my cookie sheets. Duh! Anyhow, I digress. Cover a cookie sheet with foil, if you chose but I don't see why you wouldn't it, and pour some olive oil (or coconut oil) on the chopped butternut squash, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 30 minutes or until butternut squash is soft and lightly roasted. I used coconut oil to roast the butternut squash and kept it in the oven roasting until the pork and onion mixture was done.
- While your butternut squash is roasting, take out your big frying pan/ sauce pan and get ready to caramelize your onions. Add olive oil (or coconut oil) to your pan that is on medium heat. I used olive oil for sauteing. Add your onions and garlic and constantly stirring watch your onions for the next 15 minutes. You might have to lower your heat to medium-low. This process should take about 20 minutes. Don't rush this step. It is worth it. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Once onions are done pull off the heat and place in a large mixing bowl. In the same pan, add a little more oil of your choice and your pork sausage. I used olive oil in this case as well. Use a wooden spoon to break up sausage and cook until almost cooked through.
- Once the sausage is all done, add your caramelized onions back into the pan where the sausage was browning. Now add your beaten eggs, rosemary, chicken broth and vinegar. Once stirred completely, add your pecans and cranberries. Mix well and take off the heat.
- Take out and grease a 9×13 baking dish. Add your roasted butternut squash on the bottom of the Pyrex dish. This was when I took my butternut squash out of the oven. Next, add your pork sausage and onion mixture on top of the butternut squash.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare to be WOWED!
Don’t forget about breakfast too. Just whip up two eggs over easy and serve over your leftover Pork Sausage and Butternut Squash Stuffing Casserole. I do not know a better way to start your day than this.
Don’t get left out. What are you waiting for????
See your Recipe Book.
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function ereg_replace() in /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/function/includes/theme-comments.php:65 Stack trace: #0 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/function/includes/theme-comments.php(22): the_commenter_link() #1 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-walker-comment.php(184): custom_comment(Object(WP_Comment), Array, 1) #2 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php(147): Walker_Comment->start_el('', Object(WP_Comment), 1, Array) #3 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-walker-comment.php(139): Walker->display_element(Object(WP_Comment), Array, '5', 0, Array, '') #4 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php(390): Walker_Comment->display_element(Object(WP_Comment), Array, '5', 0, Array, '') #5 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-includes/comment-template.php(2346): Wal in /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/function/includes/theme-comments.php on line 65