Paleo No Grain Nut cereal
I.LOVE.CEREAL! I may love cereal more than I love my kids, just kidding I would not go that far but I must admit I do have a weird infatuation with cereal that most people cannot understand. I grew up eating cereal in place of meals altogether, for snacks and even after a meal that left me terribly unsatisfied. And it was sugary cereals that satisfied my sweet tooth during both of my pregnancies. Come on, a bowl of Cocoa Krispies was “healthier” than eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream, right? At least that is how I justified it anyway. So you can imagine, as I slowly try to convert to a Paleo lifestyle, cereal has really been the only thing I feel deprived of or miss terribly. I recently was telling my good friend and running partner, Amy, about my cereal withdrawals, and she told me about her version of a no grain “cereal” and I can’t tell you how hooked I am! Aren’t you? Try it. This no grain, nut cereal tastes just as hearty as Kashi cereals yet better. To top it off, it has double if not triple the fiber and protein of the normal healthy cereals too. It will also keep you satisfied all through the morning as well. What are you waiting for?
- ¼ cup (or 1 ounce) of raw nuts or seeds of your choice (we use raw walnuts, pecans, almond slices, pumpkin seeds, etc)
- ½ to 1 cup of fruit of choice (typically berries, bananas, and peaches)
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seeds (optional and if your local grocery store carries it)
- milk of choice
- Pour nuts and seeds into bowl
- Wash and cut fruit
- Pour dry meal and seeds
- Splash milk of your choice (I started using Almond milk recently instead of cow's milk and it is quite tasty)
- Enjoy your non grain, nut cereal, YOU NUT!
Benefits of these different types of seeds and meal:
– Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and in 1 oz contain 9%of the Daily Value for protein(4g), 13% fat(9g), and 42% dietary fiber.
– Hemp seeds are a high protein seed containing all nine of the essential amino acids. It also has high amounts of fatty acids and fiber as well as containing vitamin E and trace minerals.
– Flax seeds help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer and strokes and contains increased levels of fiber and omega-3 essential fatty acids.
So what do you think? Are you going to try it?
See your Recipe Book.
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function ereg_replace() in /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/function/includes/theme-comments.php:65 Stack trace: #0 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/function/includes/theme-comments.php(22): the_commenter_link() #1 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-walker-comment.php(184): custom_comment(Object(WP_Comment), Array, 1) #2 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php(147): Walker_Comment->start_el('', Object(WP_Comment), 1, Array) #3 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-walker-comment.php(139): Walker->display_element(Object(WP_Comment), Array, '5', 0, Array, '') #4 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php(390): Walker_Comment->display_element(Object(WP_Comment), Array, '5', 0, Array, '') #5 /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-includes/comment-template.php(2246): Wal in /home/customer/www/ourfullplate.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/function/includes/theme-comments.php on line 65