I know am on a breakfast kick these days but seriously when you wake up and kick off your day with a healthy breakfast, how hard can your day really be? Ok, I wish that were completely true but I don’t know about you but if I start my day right and eat healthy I am more likely to work out and make healthy food choices throughout the rest of the day. As many of you know, I am a big advocate of making a lot of food over the weekend and having lots of leftovers for the week when work, school, kids, etc is crazy. So having that said, I want to put it out there that this Leftover Queen or Mrs. Crock Pot does not limit herself to just dinners. Whoever said breakfast is the most important meal of the day was not lying. Why not spend a little time on Sunday morning making a casserole that will last the week for breakfast? Sound like a good idea? Well start YOUR breakfast kick with his yummy sweet potato, egg, and sausage casserole and you (and your appetite) will not be sorry.
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded (I know I have 5 in the picture but disregard 5th one)
- 4-5 sausages; about 1 and ½ lbs (I used turkey Italian sausage but you can use whatever protein you like, chicken or pork with whatever flavor you fancy as well)
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup of coconut milk (from can)
- ½ teaspoon of sage
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a glass 7x12 inch/ 3 quart Pyrex baking dish.
- Grate the raw sweet potatoes and then place them in the bottom of the greased dish. They are fresh and not cooked, I know it sounds weird but it will cook in the oven. Again, you can manually grate the sweet potatoes with a cheese grater but you I warn you that you may need to put a little more than just back into it. Your hand WILL get tired, I promise you. I started grating it manually until I realized I could save a lot of time (and sweat) and grate the sweet potato in the food processor like I do when I grate my cauliflower to make cauliflower rice. Hallelujah for kitchen appliances!
- Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat in a pan. Chop the onion and squeeze the sausage out of the casing and cook together for about 7-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and cook until sausage is no longer pink and onions are translucent.
- Layer the sausage and onion on top of the grated sweet potatoes in the Pyrex pan.
- Put the eggs, sage, and coconut milk in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Pour this liquid mixture on top of the sausage and onions and you will see the liquid mixture ooze into the shredded sweet potato.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes.
Are you going to bake this yummy breakfast casserole next Sunday? Or better yet, want to share another breakfast casserole that is a hit in your home that we all can try?!?! Please share. Happy healthy cooking.
See your Recipe Book.