Ok many people ask me what I eat for breakfast now that I am Paleo. This is the girl who used to live on heavily processed and laden grain meals like cereal and oatmeal. Of course there are times where I miss my morning ritual of oatmeal (but don’t feel too bad for me because I am working on a version of Paleo oatmeal, so stay tuned for that yummy post). Either way, now that I am becoming more and more Paleo, I have grown more and more in love with eggs that truly I don’t miss it anymore. And besides if I do get a longing for cereal; I have this, this, and this to keep me on track. Honestly, I think my recipes are better than any highly processed Quaker Oats and sugar filled Kashi cereal can offer. My hubby on the other hand, loves loves loves eggs. In fact love is an understatement. I was never a meat and egg type a person until I started adding shredded pork to my eggs (or beef) and now I don’t know why it took me this long to figure it out. When these yummy recipes are constantly rotating on your family’s menu; pork shoulder, pork carnitas, or pork pernil; you are bound to have extra pork left over in the fridge. So why limit the protein to lunch and dinner? Throwing some extra cooked protein is too easy. I used to think making eggs in the morning was too much work, but honestly it isn’t too much more work than those of you who fix oatmeal, smoothies, etc.
- ½ - ¾ cup of pork shoulder leftovers
- 2 small fresh summer squash (Use whatever veggies you like or have available in your eggs; for example peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc. They can also be fresh or frozen, no worries)
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 6 eggs (4 whole and 2 just egg whites)
- 1 avocado to garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the leftover pork shoulder and whatever veggies you want in your lightly greased pan. One day I did squash and onions and the next I did red and yellow bell peppers. Saute until pork is browned.
- Once pork and veggies are cooked take them out of the pan and set aside. Re-grease the pan and cook your eggs until they are almost scrambled. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Once the eggs start to take form, combine the carnitas and veggies back into the pan and cook altogether until eggs are done to your liking.
- Serve with fresh avocado and enjoy.
What are your go-to egg dishes in the AM that you need to get you going?
See your Recipe Book.